Hello beautiful people!
I am drinking an amazing glass of delicious-ness that is in the form of a smoothie! And guess what color it is????
Here it is:
Okay, okay, so maybe you want to know why my smoothie is green? Well it is because it is full of greens! Wonderful, luscious, leafy greens!
Stuff like this:
- Dandelion Greens (pictured)
- Kale (pictured)
- Swiss Chard
- Leaf Lettuce
- Collard Greens
- Carrot Tops
- And any others…..
Doesn’t sound good to you? Well allow me to let you in on a little secret. You can’t even taste the greens……
How can this be you ask? Because the smoothie is full of fruit too! Yup, that’s right; yummy sweet fruits that drown out the taste of the leafy greens!
Here is an example of a typical smoothie for me:
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 1 orange/apple/other
- 1/2 – 1 and 1/2 cups greens (depending on what kind)
- 1/3- 1/2 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup water
- 6-8 ice cubes (depending on thickness of the fruit and whether or not banana is frozen)
I personally believe that leafy greens are one of the most amazingly healthy foods on this earth. This is such a great way to sneak more of them into your diet!
I started drinking green smoothies a little over a year ago (when I first got my Vita-mix!) and have been drinking them consistently for about 8 months now. By consistently I mean 2-3 of them (in the size of the recipe I posted above) every, single day. This is what I have noticed since I have been doing this:
- Rush of energy, happiness and bliss after I drink one
- Increase in mental clarity
- Overall improvement in health and wellness
Sound like something you would like to add to your life? Here are a few pointers from my personal experience to help you get started!
- The recipe I posted above is a good kind of base to work with. You can adjust as you like. Everyone has difference preferences!
- Start with less greens in the beginning to ensure you cannot taste them. As you get used to the smoothies you can slowly add more!
- Spinach is the best green to start with. You can add SO much and not even be able to taste it!
- With some of the stronger greens (arugula, parsley, etc.) you may want to combine. For example, you may want to use 1 cup of spinach and a small handful of arugula
- Not happy with how the flavor is turning out? Try adding a little agave nectar, cinnamon, etc.
- When I don’t use an entire banana, I just throw the rest in the freezer and use it for the next smoothie!
- These guys are filling but they typically only keep me full for about 1 and a half hours.
- Don’t want ice in your smoothie? Add more banana and/or less water.
- Don’t like banana? Use other “thick” fruits such as apples, pears, etc and use less water.
- Be creative! Add whatever fruits you like!
- Warning: Adding red and other vibrantly colored fruits (that aren’t green) will taste amazing, however your smoothie may turn out brown! If you are going for a psychologically pleasing smoothie, stick to green and lighter colored fruits! 🙂
- DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. If you don’t want to drink 2-3 green smoothies each day then don’t! I do because that is what works for my body and my life at this point. But you can drink 4 a day, 1 a week, 1 a month or whatever it takes in the beginning to get you started and then adjust accordingly!
I wish you all an amazing day and if you decide to give this a try I would love to hear how it goes for you!
3 Comments Add yours
Thanks for sharing great ideas.
I love smoothies 🙂
health is an bless
You are so very welcome! Health is a blessing indeed. Thank you for stopping by! 🙂