I eat a LOT of bananas! So I thought it would only be appropriate to make a post that is devoted to the awesome-ness of the banana! Bananas are a truly amazing fruit that have a number of very unique benefits and uses! If you would like to know more, then please continue…..
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Vitamins B1, 2, 3, 5, 6
- Folic acid
- Vitamin C
- Vitamins E, A and K
- Minerals – calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium and zinc
Due to this impressive list, bananas are good for the following:
- Bones (calcium and other minerals)
- Digestion (fiber, easy to digest)
- Brain (omega 3s, amino acids…aka protein)
- The circulatory system (and reduction of blood pressure)
- Energy (bananas are a good carbohydrate, which = fuel!)
- Depression/mood (good for the brain, plus they contain certain essential amino acids such as tryptophan, which increases serotonin)
- Charlie horses/leg cramps (potassium and other minerals)
Other Unique Benefits
Bananas have all of the following uses that cannot be duplicated by many other fruits/foods:
- Creamy texture – How many other fruits are creamy like the banana? This provides for a unique eating experience alone when comparing to other fruits! Also, this makes bananas an excellent candidate for making smoothies, ice cream, etc. Speaking of which…..
- Great for smoothies – What other food is better for a smoothie than a banana? They are thick and creamy and delicious and they combine well with just about every other fruit! Seriously, give them a try! No dairy products needed, either!
- Great for ice cream – Yes, I said ice cream! All you have to do is freeze some bananas, put them in your high speed blender or food processer and voila, you have the most amazing, creamy and magical ice cream ever! And it is made out of fruit! You can also add other frozen fruits, cinnamon or whatever else you like. Yum!
- Filling – Bananas are a lot denser than other fruits, so they keep you full longer. This is especially beneficial to those of us who eat a diet that is very high in fruit!
- Travel – They are easy to transport for on-the-go fun! It is super-simple to “pack” a bunch of bananas; just grab and go! Once you are out, peel and eat! It doesn’t get much more straight-forward than that!
- Disposal – Just throw them back to mother earth! Great for the environment and easy, too!
- Baking substitute – Bananas can be used in baking to help sweeten and also to help bind and hold stuff together! So depending on what you are making, they may be able to replace or help replace sugar, butter, oil or eggs!
- Cheap – Bananas are one of, if not the most inexpensive fruits (not to mention, foods), year-round! At least this is true where I live!
So there you have it, folks! The AMAZING banana! Pretty cool stuff!
If anyone has any other uses for bananas or banana tips, feel free to share in the comments below! Or feel free to just express your love for the banana in general, as I will totally be able to relate. 😉